Monday, February 28, 2011

Year 5

As the wagons brought me forth to copper market my curiosity was a tangible almost tangy taste in my mouth (this could be the pump helmet stew however). As I complimented the wagon driver for his speedy travel I saw that indeed the entrance was still the same as when I left it. Odd I thought but perhaps this region turned out to be peaceful?

When I entered the fortress I could hear the yells mourning dwarves. I was scarcely inside when the mayor approached me with complaints of improper quarters. As I inspect the various floors I found much madness and little method. Craft dwarf shops cluttered to the brim with trinkets. Vast complexes of workshops with none of their required materials anywhere near them.

Worse yet all the classic signs of government projects with out oversite: apparently my predecessor began a massive entrance with bridges and pitfalls and a water reservoir powered by a dwarven reactor no less. My predecessor attempted to explain its maddening construction to me but alas I could not understand its arcane designs. I fear only armok knows its true purpose.

Needless to say I had my work cut out for me. I spent my months having the dwarves haul the various trinkets up and hollow out proper storage areas near the workshops and farms. I also took this time to raise a proper military including a town guard of marksdwarves. They are still rather green but militia was able to kill some kobold ambushers.

As the river froze I was able to add some much need security counter measures. I constructed fortifications to keep the large more murderous beasts out while still allowing water to pass through.

During my last month a host of goblins arrived and tragically our apprentice armor smith was unable to get into the safe confines of the fort in time. Armok knows what he was doing outside... I fear I must relinquish command of the fort with the vile threat is still quite underway.

Good luck next overseer.


In memory of Stodir Limulbab, armor dwarf, gentledwarf, hero. May his name be remembered song and its praise echo through the mountain halls.

No comments:

Post a Comment